Saturday, August 22, 2009

From Kelly's Heroes to Inglourious Basterds (pt.2)

Back to Kelly's Heroes, where Kelly is played by Clint Eastwood as normal as you going to get him: laid back in no hurry at all. The whole movie was fun, and at two hours and change the movie moves briskly. The gang of characters is fun to watch as they complement each other on different situations. I knew Telly Savalas only from Kojak, but he brought his character to life in such a way that makes me want to watch everything else he's done. Don Rickles I thought to be this one dimensional insult comic, but he changed my point of view with this movie. Donald Sutherland, playing a hippie even before hippies were invented, genius! That part about his squad blasting music to scare the enemy reminded me of "Apocalypse Now" when Lt Colonel Kilgore (Robert Duvall's character) plays "Ride of the Valkyries" when he's attacking the village. I was wondering who copied whom? "Kelly's Heroes" was done almost ten years before "Apocalypse Now" and they portray totally different wars so I'm guessing this is a real technique employed during combat. Even Uncle Leo from Seinfeld makes an appearance!

On this movie Kelly finds out there's a lot of Nazi gold in a bank behind enemy lines so he rallies his fellow soldiers to march over and take it. Along the way more and more parties get clued in which means the shares are dwindling so it becomes a race to get to the bank first and get out before a general (Carroll O'Connor aka Archie Bunker from "All in the family") sticks his nose on the whole affair, just because he wants to congratulate the brave men making headway behind enemy lines. I had a lot of fun watching this film. I guess I related the titled to Hogan's Heroes and thought this will be more of a comedy than anything else. I got a great war movie full of action and wonderful characters.
I just hope Inglourious Basterds lives up to the hype. I don't know the reasoning for the different way of spelling "bastards". It was rumored that Tarantino's poor spelling was the reason behind it. Some say it's because it's being spelled how the Germans would say it. I personally think it's because this is how he thought it was written and to save face everybody keeps saying this was done on purpose. The title hails from an obscure Italian b-movie, and from what I've heard that's where comparisons end.

No comments:

Post a Comment