Saturday, May 22, 2010

Junot Diaz elected to the Pulitzer board

Congratulations once again to Dominican writer Junot Diaz.  This time for becoming the first latino elected to the Pulitzer board (the ones in charge of awarding the prizes).
Junot won a Pulitzer for his debut novel "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao".  I preach this book to everyone I meet (and tells me the love reading), for it's amazing prose and flow.
Back in college someone mentioned him to me and I went and found his first published book, "Drown" which is a collection of short stories that deal with life in the States and in the Dominican Republic.  It spoke to me, so I kept an eye out for his work.  Then he came out with Oscar Wao in 2008, which just floored me.  Like a Harry  Potter book I just couldn't put it down.



Junot was born in the Dominican Republic, but moved to New Jersey early in his childhood.  He graduated from Rutgers University and now teaches creative writing in M.I.T.  You can read more here.
Felicidades compatriota! Go pick up his books, you'll be glad you did. I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment